Article Summary:A checklist to ensure success while generating b2b sales leads.
You've spent a great deal of time, effort and money putting together your B2B sales leads generation programs. How you handle those B2B sales leads once you get them makes the difference between happy salespeople and new customers or unhappy salespeople and lost sales.
Here's a checklist of questions to ask yourself to determine if you have the best chance of being successful:Are you prepared to send requested information immediately?
- Do you know what to send in response to different types of inquiries?
- Do you have electronic versions for those who want the information by e-mail or via downloads from your Web site?
- Do you have adequate supplies of printed materials ready for those who prefer them?
- Do you have the people, systems and processes in place to get the requested information out the door quickly?
- Do you have the database ready to go?
- Do you have the data entry people or outside services lined up to get the inquirers into the database?
- Have you agreed with sales management on which questions to ask in order to determine which leads are qualified?
- Have you agreed what information is required to know which sales contacts to route the qualified leads to?
- Are you asking these questions on all response devices?
- Do you have proactive programs in place to contact and qualify your leads?
Do you have a process in place for distributing qualified leads to sales contacts as they are identified?
- Is it designed to get the leads into salespeople's hands without delay?
- Have you made it easy for your salespeople, reps, dealers or distributors to use?
- Can they access leads over the Internet?
- Does it integrate with their existing contact management or email systems?
Salespeople generally focus on those one-in-four sales leads who are ready to buy soon. However, research shows that three of four sales come from longer-term prospects who are frequently ignored by sales.
- Does your company have a prospect relationship marketing program in place to keep in touch with these longer-term prospects, using email, fax, mail and phone contacts, until they are identified as being qualified and ready for sales attention?
- Do you know what messages to send as part of your prospect relationship management program?
- Do you know how often to contact prospects with these messages?
- Do you know what offers to use to get them to further identify their needs and situation so you can determine if they are ready for sales?
Do you have a program in place to measure and track the results of your various sales leads generation and cultivation and sales follow-up programs
- Can you determine your cost per lead, cost per qualified lead and cost per sale?
- Do you know which lead programs generate the highest return on investment?
- Do you know which nurturing techniques worked and which didn't?
- Can you prove to management that your lead generation programs are paying off in increased sales and market share?
M. H. "Mac" McIntosh is described by many as one of America's leading business-to-business sales and marketing consultants and an expert on the subject of sales leads. He is president of Mac McIntosh Incorporated, a sales and marketing consulting firm specializing in helping companies get more high-quality sales leads and turn them into sales. Visit his Sales Leads Experts website for more information.