Article Summary:How to simplify your life in 10 easy steps.
In the words of Henry David Thoreau, 'Simplify, Simplify. Simplify.'
Here are the top 10 ways to organize and simplify your life.
1. LESS IS MORE: It's more important to have a few nice things that you truly enjoy, than to just have lots of stuff. Say goodbye to things that don't fit, are out of style or are unflattering. This goes for clothing, furniture, knick knacks, and other possessions you're not happy with.
2. CONSOLIDATE CREDIT CARDS: Most stores take Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Pay off your other credit cards, and in the future use only one or two of these major credit cards. Or, if possible, pay cash for purchases.
3. DON'T BUY DRY CLEAN ONLY CLOTHES: There are plenty of nice, washable clothes available for both business and pleasure. You'll spend less time and money at the dry cleaners. The same goes for bedspreads, curtains, etc.
4. SCREEN YOUR CALLS: Let your answering machine take all your phone calls, and return calls on your time.
5. DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF: Don't allow trivial matters to aggravate you. If the milk spills, wipe it up and move on to more important things.
6. GET HELP: Don't try to do everything yourself. Split up household responsibilities among family members. Delegate to your staff. Outsource projects, repairs and so on.
7. DON'T TRY TO REMEMBER EVERYTHING: There's no need to store it in your memory. Write it down.
8. WATCH TV ON YOUR TERMS: If your favorite program isn't on at a convenient time, use your VCR and record it. Then, watch it when you want to--without all the commercials!
9. DON'T OVER-SCHEDULE YOUR CHILDREN: Too many activities can cause a strain on your children, and you!
10. PLAN EACH DAY: Spend 10 minutes each night, planning for tomorrow. You'll be focused and ready to take on the world each morning!
Maria Gracia, founder of Get Organized Now!, specializes in helping people get better organized to live the kind of stress-free life they've always dreamed of.
During Maria's ten years with Dun and Bradstreet's Nielsen Media Research in New York, Maria worked as a marketing, organizing and management specialist.
Today, Maria and her husband, Joe, live in Watertown, Wisconsin where they own and operate their company, Effective Business Systems. Maria founded the Get Organized Now! division in 1996.
Maria is the author of Finally Organized, Finally Free which has been read by thousands of people all over the world. In addition, she has created a variety of other helpful organizing products that can be found in her Get Organized Now! Store at www.getorganized now.com.